Thursday 13 October 2016

SIG's and developing questions..

This section of the module has been a bit trickier for me than I initially thought. I have found it much harder to establish some kind of SIG on the programme than I have within my own professional company. Luckily Grace (gracehume.blogspot.com.) and I are coming at this from a very similar angle in regards to physiotherapy, so it was nice to establish contact with her through blog comments and Facebook to discuss different questions that we both had on the topic.

We were discussing the importance of physios within dance companies and how their knowledge on dance is just as important as their knowledge of treating injuries. We discussed that at school we had a fantastic physiotherapist who specialized in sports injuries but that sometimes she would treat our injuries how she would treat a footballer or rugby player (those were her main clients) and so sometimes small details would be lost because of that slight lack of dance specific knowledge. I think maintaining an open conversation with Grace and others throughout this module will be really beneficial and help me understand and establish exactly what I want answered and how to approach it properly.

Rebecca (rebeccajones387.blogspot.com) posted a very interesting comment that left me thinking for a while which was "Are dancers given enough support and guidance to prevent injury as well as support when recovering?" It's a question I took to my professional colleagues and amongt all of the people I spoke to, our answers were all no. It's something that definitely needs to be addressed from an early professional education age. I posted before that injury is an inevitability at some point during a career, so understanding how to deal with it is something that should be taught during training, not learnt as it's happening or happened. 

As well as communicating with other BAPP members, I have also started following many different esteemed physiotherapists on multiple platforms of social media, but mainly Facebook to hear what they have to say. A lot of them post about situations which involve ethical choices which I found interesting as it is something we will learn more about further into the course. My favorite that I have come across so far is a physiotherapist called Adam Meakins. He posts a lot about others unprofessional opinions on social media and the differences between a physio and a PHYSIO. It's been interesting to read his blogs as they are the first physiotherapy specific blogs I've read. 

Thought I'd write a quick blog post just to see what everyone else thought and if anyone has had similar experiences with their own SIG's? Look forward to reading some responses :)


No comments:

Post a Comment