Monday 21 March 2016

Journal writing experience - Task 2b

Ok, so time now to talk about how keeping a personal journal is actually going..? hmm. I'm not gunna lie, I am struggling a bit. As someone who commits a lot of time to different things everyday (dance work, music, stock trading) and generally has a busy schedule, I am really finding it hard to even find time to sit down and write down my thoughts in a bullet point style of writing. The more time that goes past, the easier I am finding it, so I'm hoping this is just a learning curve and that I'll get used to it soon.

After reading through the module handout, I really liked the idea of different styles of journal logging. I did try on my Friday journal post to explore the whole "what if?" way to write as It's not how I usually write and it proved for a very interesting result, largely because I had a rather unusual day anyway so I seized the opportunity to write in a skeptical/ponderous fashion. "What if I'd just left it?" was probably the sentence I pondered over for the longest time after writing my diary entry.

Mostly my personal journal entries are descriptive and evaluative. I read back and a lot of what is written are things like "overall the show went well" and "need to change this lift grip to make it smoother" but I do also like the idea of having a more list based journal input. I am looking at a list of pros and cons on this Friday entry and seeing things like:

- energetic
- immersed
- artistically satisfied

but also:

- nervous
- apprehensive

as I said, it was a very up and down day.

 I'm really starting to understand why people do keep a personal journal for the sheer fun of it as it has been nice to read back on previous days and get an insight in to how I was feeling and how my day panned out. My only problem is finding time and documenting throughout the day. I read in the comment section of another blog that someone suggested keeping voice notes on their phone and reflecting on it at the end of the day. I thought this was actually a really useful tool as sometimes I thought to myself "ahh, I have to remember that and put it in my journal" and then I find myself sat scratching my head and driving myself slightly crazy trying to remember that one particular point. Having said that, as I'm sat writing this blog post about trying to remember that specific point, it just came back to me, thanks brain.

From reading the above you can probably tell that I'm still getting to grips with personal journal keeping as well as blogging in general but I think over time it will definitely get easier an I hope that people reading can see it throughout my blogging journey.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lawrence,

    I get completely where you are coming from about writing a journal and actually finding the time to complete one.

    I've been doing mine on a week by week basis rather than a daily basis and for now this seems to be working, but I am going to be trying alternative ways to see which works best for me.

    I think you also have to try and not over ananlyse things, which I hold my hand up too I do ALL the time :) but just noting down little significant things that have happened like you have said in this blog "yes" you can see why people find it useful.

    Looking forward to hearing how you get on with keeping the journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journal is yours to be what you want/need - it collects and gathers observations about what you do - and relates them to other things that have happened - don't forget you can use imagery - I blogged about this - and planning - I use a notebook with things to do - I used to draw out a calendar. The 'artistic' side you mention is so important to capture - it sounds like yours is a positive experience - artistic processes build - not all the time - but when it seems right...

    ReplyDelete